Fell brake van
This is brake van F210, one of seven used on the Rimutaka Incline to control the speed of descending trains. It was built in Petone Railway Workshops in 1898.
From the museum brochure: Each van was operated by a specially trained man, known as an Incline Guard. On ascending trains, all brake vans, up to five, were at the rear. On descending trains, up to three vans were placed behind the Fell engines, all of which were at the head, with one van in the middle, and one at the end.
This is a view through the open doorway at the front of the van. As the museum brochure explains: The brake gear comprises four massive upright cantilever arms pivoted on the floor of the van. On the lower ends of these arms were bolted the four brake blocks which gripped the raised centre rail. The brake blocks were cast iron, and a new set was fitted after each descent.
Taken 5 June 2004. Filed under
things. Click the photo to go to the previous photo.