Arch of welcome
In 1901 the Duke and Duchess of York visited their dominions in Australasia. They paraded through the decorated streets of Rotorua, under this timber trussed arch which spanned a major intersection in the city. The arch has survived, been shifted to become the gateway to the Government Gardens, and lately been restored.
The Yorks were given a good dose of arches in Australia too.
Taken 10 April 2004. Filed under
architecture. Click the photo to go to the previous photo.